Sunday, August 16, 2009

Where's the joy?

If you are wondering why there is no joy in my fruit of the spirit sermon series from this summer, there is a reason. The week before that sermon I was with our church on a mission trip to Rosebud South Dakota. We spent a week working on the Rosebud Indian Reservation and I fly home Saturday to be in Bellefonte for worship on Sunday. My flight from Detriot to State College was cancelled and so I rented a car and drove all night. I got home about 30 minutes before worship and while I did preach a sermon on joy as one of the fruits of God's spirit, I honestly can not make out my notes and I really don't remember much of the sermon. I rewrote the sermon while in SD and on the first leg of my flight home, but never got to my computer to actually rewrite it. My notes still don't make much sense.

Here is what I do remember from my sermon (and can make sense of in my notes):

Joy is NOT dependant upon our circumstances.

Joy is a security we have in knowing that God is with us (If God is for us who can be against us!).

Joy is a security in knowing that Salvation and Eternal Life are ours through Jesus Christ.

Joy comes in serving others. (We experienced a great deal of joy serving the people in South Dakota)

Joy comes in serving comes because when we serve we are joining in the work of Jesus (the provider of joy) and we when we serve we are reminded that Jesus serves us (and saves us) us daily.

So if you want to experience the lasting joy that is the fruit of God's spirit - stop looking at our circumstances and step out to serve.