Thursday, January 23, 2014

Andy at Israel - Jerusalem

5 days and counting…  

It was 5 months ago that the church surprised me with this trip to Israel and now it is just 5 days away.   There are a lot of emotions I am feeling about this whole experience.  I am excited to be able to see the land where so much history took place and to be able to literally walk in the footsteps of Jesus.   I’m a little nervous about the actual travel and the logistics of things like security, customs, money exchanges and yes, wondering where I will find the closest bathroom.  But most of all as I get ready to leave I am incredibly humble and thankful.   As I talk to many of you, I sense that you are as excited as I am and that outpouring of love and support is simply overwhelming.  For someone who never seems to be at a loss for words… I find myself unable to express the deep love and appreciation I have for all of you who are “with me” on this trip.  I can’t say this enough… THANK YOU.

I’ve been reading the books my sister told me to read about Galilee and Jerusalem and I have been thinking a lot about a single moment in Jesus life.  It is the day Jesus entered Jerusalem in triumph riding on a donkey (what we celebrate as Palm Sunday).  I can’t wait to stand in that same place and look over the city of Jerusalem and just reflect on what that city is all about.




As Jesus saw the splendor of the beloved city and heard the crowd cheering him enthusiastically, he became aware of the approaching agony (of the cross), and suddenly tears welled up in his eyes.  “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace – but now it is hidden from your eyes.”  (from Luke 19:41-42)

What would bring the people of Jerusalem peace was Jesus – and they didn’t see it.  Even though they celebrated Him that day - they didn’t really see Him and the blessing of God’s love and grace He had to offer.  It makes me wonder how many times we see things that could bring us peace and yet we fail to really see it.  Maybe it’s our family or friends; maybe it’s the opportunities God has given us in life or the beauty of the world around us.  Maybe like the crowds in Jerusalem that day, it is still Jesus.   How much of God’s amazing love and grace and peace offered to us in Jesus do we just not see?  How much do we simply take for granted?

As I sail on the sea of Galilee, walk to the top of the Mt. of Beatitudes and stand on a hill overlooking the city of Jerusalem, I hope I don’t miss seeing the things that will bring peace.  I hope that I don't spend so much time looking at all the splendor and the beauty of this "holy" land that I miss seeing Jesus.