Thursday, January 9, 2014

Andy at Israel - Tiberias

While in Israel we are scheduled to visit 33 sites in 7 days and as I look at the list I find myself drawn to the first 2 days when we will be in Tiberias.  
Tiberias
These days we will be sailing on the Sea of Galilee...
Sea of Galilee

and walking up to the place where Jesus delivered the Sermon on the Mount.   

Location of Jesus Sermon on the Mount
This is all in northern Galilee miles away from the city of Jerusalem.   While there is so much rich history in Jerusalem, it is this part of northern Galilee that I am most excited about and I have been wondering why.  

As I shared this observation with my sister she said, “That makes perfect sense to me.   You are not a city person.”  And she’s right, I’m not, but I think it goes deeper than that.  Most of the times and places where I felt the presence of God  most personally and powerfully have been in remote areas.  I grew up along the shoreline of Connecticut so water and beaches have always been special places for me.  

My summer working in Yellowstone National Park and the times I have spent in the mountains of Tennessee have been times and places where God has spoken to me and refreshed my spirit.  


Maybe I am most excited about Tiberius and Capernaum because I am hoping (and longing) for God to speak to me along the shores and in the mountains once more.

along the shores of Galilee

Where has God spoken to you?  What locations and settings seem to be the places where you sense God's presence, grace and power?  

I am also reminded that Jesus chose Capernaum as his home.  Of all the places Jesus could have lived on this planet – he chose Capernaum and while there were probably many strategic reasons for this (like being a religious community open to new ideas and a center of business activity that could help spread the message of a new preacher),  I also think Jesus just liked it.  I think Jesus liked seeing the water and the mountains.  I think he liked hearing the waves lapping along the shore and the birds in the air.  I think he liked being able to climb the mountains and hear the wind and feel close to His father.  

Jesus chose this area for many reasons and I’m excited to visit and see for myself what made this place, this home, His home, so special.