Thursday, January 2, 2014

Andy at Israel - Where we will stay vs. Where Jesus stayed.

While in Israel, we will be staying at two different hotels.  


Click to open image!
Olive Tree Hotel in Jerusalem

Both of them look amazing and quite luxurious and I will be very happy to stay there, but I can't help think how vastly different they are from the kinds of places Jesus stayed while He was in these places.  It's not recorded that Jesus ever had his own home or ever stayed at an Inn (not even on the night he was born!).  Instead Jesus stayed at the homes of friends, spent nights in the wilderness and even slept in the back of a boat on the Sea of Galilee (not to mention a stable and manger).  

While we often talk about walking in the footsteps of Jesus, do we really want to walk and live among the poor like Jesus did?  Do I?  Would I still be taking this trip if I was going to be sleeping in stables and in the back of fishing boats?  

Jesus gave up the throne room of heaven to come to earth.  He gave up more splendor and glory than these two hotels combined to take on our flesh and walk among those who are poor and in need.  I hope I don't forget that as I enjoy the beauty and elegance of these places.  

~Andy